- 1 cup: Black Gram seeds (Kali Urad whole)
- 4-5 cloves: Garlic
- 1 tsp: Cumin seeds
- 4-5: Black pepper
- 4-5: Red chillies whole
- A pinch: Asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp: Dry coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp: Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp: Red chillies powder
- 1/2 tsp: Garam masala
- 1/2 cup: Oil ( preferably mustard oil)
- 3 cups: Water
- 3 tsp or to taste: Salt
- Place an iron frying pan (kadhai) on a moderate flame. Put Sabut Urad (black gram) in it and roast it without oil for about 3 to 5 minutes or till the pleasant aroma of roasted seeds comes. Do not over cook it. Take off the flame. Grind the roasted seeds into a coarse powder.
- Heat oil in the Kadahi and add garlic cloves. When the garlic turns light brown, add cumin seeds, red chillies, black pepper and heeng (asafoetida)
- Immediately add the daal powder and fry it for 1-2 minute or so. Add turmeric powder, dry coriander powder, red chillies powder, salt and water. Bring it to boil.
- Cover and Cook till the daal becomes very soft. Simmer for 20-30 minutes. Before taking off the heat, sprinkle garam masala over chainsoo.
- Garnish with pure ghee and chopped coriander leaves. Serve with hot steamed rice.