Ingredients (Makes: 10-12 pieces)
- 1 1/2 cup: Plain flour
- 3 tbsp: Oil
- Salt to taste
- Cold water to knead dough
- 1 cup: Yellow moong dal washed and soaked for 1/2 hour
1 tbsp: Plain flour for patching
- 1 tsp: Garam masala
- 1 tsp: Red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp: Dhania (coriander) powder
- 1/2 tsp: Coriander seeds crushed coarsely
- 1/2 tsp: Fennel (saunf) seeds crushed coarsely
- 1/2 tsp: Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp: Mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp: Coriander leaves finely chopped
- 2-3 Pinches asafoetida
- 1 tbsp: Oil
- Oil to deep fry
- Salt to taste
- For Cover
- Mix flour, salt and oil, knead into soft pliable dough.
- Keep aside for 30 minutes.
- For Filling
- Put plenty of water to boil. Add dal.
- Boil dal for 5 minutes, drain. Cool a little.
- Heat oil in a heavy pan.
- Add all seeds whole and crushed allow to splutter.
- Add asafoetida, mix. Add all other ingredients.
- Mix well. Do not smash the dal fully. But enough to make the
mixture hold well.
- Remove from fire, cool.
- Divide into 15 portions.
- Shape into balls with greased palms.
- Keep aside.
- To Proceed
- Make a paste with water, of flour for patching. Keep aside.
- Take a pingpong ball sized portion of dough.
- Knead into round. Roll into 4" diam. round.
- Place one ball of filling at centre.
- Pick up round and wrap ball into it like a pouch.
- Break off excess dough carefully.
- Do not allow cover to tear.
- Press the ball with palm, making it flattish and round.
- Repeat for 4-5 kachories.
- Deep fry in hot oil, on low flame only.
- If the kachori get a hole anywhere, apply some paste.
- Return to oil and finish frying.
- Turn and repeat for other side.
- Fry till golden and crisp. Small bubbles must appear over
- Drain and serve hot with green and tamarind chutneys.
Take care to fry on low. Hurried frying will result in soggy and oily kachories.