The people of Punjab (in North India) love to eat and this is reflected in their delicious, hearty regional cuisine. Wowing Indians all over the country, Punjabi food is so tasty. Enjoy the reciepe of black-eyed beans served on their own with yogurt and fresh cilantro or as a side dish for curries.
Ingredients (Serves: 4)
- 2 cups Lobia (Black Eye Beans)
- 1 small chopped Onion
- 2 large chopped Cloves Garlic
- 1 (3/4-inch piece) peeled and chopped Ginger Root
- 1/2 tsp Scant Cumin Seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp Ground Coriander
- 3/4 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Ground Turmeric
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 medium chopped Tomato
- Salt To Taste
- Drench Beans overnight in water in a pot.
- Next day, drain beans and bring them to boil in Fresh Water.
- Add salt, coriander, cumin and turmeric. Simmer about 30 to 45 minutes until BEANS are just tender.
- Warm oil in deep Saucepan.
- Add onion, garlic, ginger and cumin.
- Fry 10 minutes and add tomato.
- Cook another 5 minutes and add lobhia (black eyed beans) along with Cooking liquid.
- Continue to simmer, uncovered, until lobhia are soft but not completely dissolved.
- Mixture should be soupy.
- Lobhia are ready to serve.