Manik Painjan is a special dish of the people of Maharashtra. It is prepared with chana dal, wheat flour and gram flour. People of Maharashtra make this recipe whenever there is some special occasion. You can also try out this yummy dish on any festive day. The ingredients of Manik Painjan has been given below along with the process of how to cook. Cook it and serve hot to your guests and see how they compliment you.
Ingredients (Serves 6)
- 2 tsp: Chana dal, soaked in water for 2 hours
- 1 1/2 cups: Wheat flour (aata), sieved
- 1/2 cup: Gram flour (besan)
- 1/2 cup: Onion, grated
- 1 tsp: Ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 cup: Coriander leaves
- 1 tsp: Chilli powder
- 1 tsp: Garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp: Turmeric powder
- Oil for frying
- Salt according to the taste
- First mix well the two flours, the powdered spices, ginger and garlic paste, the onions and coriander leaves. Add salt to it according to the taste. Knead them in a stiff dough and add required water and a bit of oil to it. Make one dozen balls of it of equal sizes.
- Pat each individual balls with your lightly oiled palms into a disc of average 10 cms in size. While patting spread little of chana dal on each side. This will help the dal to stick to the sides. Fry it in hot oil till it is turned golden in color.
- Serve hot and better with tomato sauce or chutney of any type.