Phaanu or Phanu is easy to cook yet scrumptious dish of Uttaranchal. Phaanu is mainly made out of Gahat dal. But you can also use Arhar or green Mung dal for its preparation. Follow the instructions given below to cook Phaanu. Cook this at home and satisfy your taste buds by eating this nutritious food.
- 1 cup: Gahat or Kulath (Horse gram)
- 4 to 5 cloves: Garlic
- 1/2 inch piece: Ginger
- 3-4 : Green chillies
- 1 tsp: Jakhiya or Cumin seeds
- A pinch: Asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp: Dry coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp: Turmeric powder
- 3 cups: Water
- 2 tsp or to taste: Salt
- 1/2 cup: Oil ( preferably mustard oil)
- Soak the Gahat daal in water overnight. If using Arhar daal, soak for 1-2hrs.
- In the morning wash and rub the daal in running water so that it is free of seed covering (chilka). Then, grind it into a dry thick paste in a mixer or on a silbatta along with green chillies, garlic and ginger.
- Place a tawa on a moderate flame. Put some oil and make thick pancakes ( like cutlets) daal paste. Use only half of the paste for making the cakes.
- Mix water with the remaining paste making it of pouring consistency. Heat oil in a pan and add jakhiya seeds and heeng. Now add Gahat paste, turmeric powder, dry coriander powder and salt.
- Cover and cook for about 10 minutes on slow fire. Add the Gahat cakes to the gravy and continue simmer for another ten minutes. The gravy should have pouring consistency. If thick add some more water and heat till it boils.
- Garnish with pure ghee and chopped coriander leaves. Serve with steamed rice.