Phirni - Creamy Rice Flour Pudding
Ingredients (Serves: 6)
- 6 cups: Milk
- 3 tbs: Rice preferably long - grained (called Basmati in India)
- 9 tbs: Sugar (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp: Cardamoms (powdered)
- 1½ tbs: Almonds (blanched and sliced)
- 1½ tbs: Pistachios (sliced)
- 1½ tbs: Cashew nuts (sliced)
- A few strands of saffron soaked in a little milk.
- Wash the rice and soak it in a little water for about 40 minutes. Grind the rice with just enough water in which it was soaked to make a fine paste. Keep aside.
- Pour the milk in a vessel and bring it to a boil on medium heat. Let it simmer. Meanwhile, take a little of this hot milk in a bowl, add the rice paste and dilute it to a very thin consistency. Add this to the simmering milk and mix, stirring continuously. Cook on low heat for 16 minutes or till the milk has thickened. Add sugar and stir well. Keep on low heat for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add the saffron and sprinkle cardamom powder on top.
- Garnish with sliced almonds, pistachios and cashew nuts.
- Serve chilled.