Kashmir is not only a heavenly place to visit, it also have lot of culinary delights to offer. Kashmiri cuisine is rich in taste and aroma. Non-veg lovers will never be disappointed from Kashmiri menu. Rista (Meat-balls in red gravy) is delicious culinary delight with a ladeful gravy to be enjoyed with naan and cumin rice. Make your own Rista with SurfIndia.
- 1 kg: Boneless mutton from the leg of lamb
- 1 cup: Meat fat
- 1 cup: Moval extract (cockscomb)
- 1 tsp: Saffron soaked in a cup of water
- 1 tsp: Red chili powder
- 1 tsp: Ginger powder
- 4 pieces: Cardamom (brown)
- 3 tsp: Fennel powder
- 2-3: Bay leaves
- 3 pcs: Cloves
- 2 pieces: Cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp: Asafoetida liquid
- 1 cup: Mustard oil /refined oil
- Salt to taste
Moval is a dried flower available only in Kashmir. Generally it is used for coloring dishes. To prepare moval extract- soak moval in a cup of water for about an hour, drain and store. As an alternative we may use saffron extract. Soak 1 tsp saffron in a cup of water and add to the dish.
- Pound boneless meat on a smooth stone with a wooden mallet and add the meat fat while pounding. Make sure the pulp is mixed well to make the round balls. Add brown cardamom powder, a little salt and 1 tsp ginger powder. After mixing well make round balls about 3 inches diameter.
- Heat oil in a large vessel add salt, asafoetida and a glass of water and red chili powder. Keep on stirring until it leaves the red colour. Add about 8 glasses of water and the rest of the spices and bring to a boil.
- While the gravy is boiling add meat balls slowly and gently boil for an hour. Add the moval extract and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve with boiled rice.