Craving for a wonderful sweet dish! We have something for you. Payasam or payesh is a traditional Indian sweet where rice is cooked in milk till it yields a rich and creamy texture. Payasam with a wonderful taste prepared by our Grandma's is still in our memories. Now prepare it by your own with SurfIndia. Chilled Semiyan garnished with saffron is ready to overwhelm any one.
- 1 cup: Vermicelli
- 1 cup: Milk
- 1 cup: Sugar
- A handful: Cashew nuts
- A handful: Raisins
- 1 pinch: Saffron
- 2-3 pods: Cardamom
- ¾ cup: Water
- Heat the ghee and fry the vermicelli till light brown.
- In the meanwhile, boil the water.
- Add the vermicelli to the boiling water and cover it. Keep stirring occasionally.
- Once the vermicelli becomes soft , add the sugar and continue to stir.
- Put the saffron in the milk and dissolve it, add this milk to the vermicelli.
- Powder the cardamom and add it to the mixture.
- Then fry the cashew nuts and almonds in ghee and add these.
- Mix well and boil for about two minutes.
- Your payasam is ready and can be served hot or cold.