Tomato rasam is a poplular south Indian cuisine. It is also known as tomato charu and cooked daily as a part of meal in all over South India. Rasam goes great with the dal and rice. Its wonderful sour and spicy taste is liked by everyone. Try our tomato rasam
- 3-4 tbsp: Red Gram Dal
- 4 (large & finely chopped): Tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp: Garlic paste
- 1-inch piece: Ginger (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp: Garlic grated
- 1-2: Green chilies finely chopped
- Coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp: Turmeric powder
- 1tsp: Mustard seeds
- 1tsp: Cumin seeds
- 1-2 : Whole dried red chili (halved)
- A pinch: Asafoetida
- Curry leaves few
- Chili or pepper powder to taste
- 2 tbsp: Oil
- 21/2 cups: Water
- Salt to taste
- Pick, wash and pressure cook the dal and keep side.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves, dried chili and asafetida. When mustard seeds start to splutter add garlic, ginger, tomatoes and green chilies. Add salt, chili & turmeric powder and a cup: of water. Simmer for 5-6 minutes and add the cooked dal and 11/2 cup of water and bring to boil.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves.