Uppittu (Serves 4)
Upittu or upma Upma or Uppittu is an excellent breakfast option from Karnataka. It is a wholesome Indian dish made of Rava (Cream of Wheat). It is tasty as well as nutritious dish. Upma is accompanied with lot of vegetables and peanuts, that's why energy providing breakfast snack. While preparing Uppittu nominal oil is used, so calorie conscious can also enjoy Uppittu without worry.
- 1cup: Semolina (Rava)
- ¼ cup: Sliced Potato
- ½ cup: Sliced Onion
- ½ tsp: Grated ginger
- 3tbs: Grated fresh coconut
- Chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tsp: Sugar
- 2 tsp: Ghee
- Salt to taste
- For Seasoning
- 2 tbs: Peanuts
- 1 tsp: Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp: Black gram (urad dal)
- 1 tsp: Red dry chilli
- ¼ tsp: Turmeric powder
- A pinch: Asafoetida
- Curry leaves few
- 3 tbs: Oil
- Heat a pan and slightly roast rava in a low flame. Keep aside and allow it to cool.
- Heat 3 tbs of oil and add the seasoning ingredients except turmeric powder and asafoetida.
- When the mustard splutter, add turmeric and asafoetida and sauté well.
- Add the onions and fry till it soft. Then add potato fry for few minutes. Add 11/2cup of water, salt to taste and bring to boil. Cover and cook the potato.
- When it is done, mix grated ginger and sugar. Turn heat to low flame.
- Add roasted rava little by little. Keep stirring while adding, so that there will not be any lumps.
- Close the lid and cook for few minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and grated coconut.
- Sprinkle ghee over it and serve hot.