Pleasure your taste buds with the Varhadi aloo bhat, a fabulous dish from Maharashtra cuisine. This Maharashtian recipe of rice and yogurt simmered with spices makes a great meal by itself. It is also known as Vagharelo aloo bhat and it is the Maharashtrian version of vegetable pulao. Try it by yourself.
Ingredients (Serves 6)
- 4 no: Large potatoes, cubed
- 1 1/2 cups: Rice, washed
- 3/4 cup: Yoghurt
- 5 cm: Ginger
- 2 pieces: Cinnamon
- 3 tsp: Coriander seeds
- 1/4 tsp: Turmeric
- 1/2 cup: Coriander leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup: Dry coconut (copra), grated
- 5-6: Green chillies, chopped
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- Fry potatoes and cashewnuts separately. Reserve.
- Grind green chillies, ginger, cinnamon, coriander seeds and turmeric.
- Heat 2 tbsps oil and fry the ground paste. Add fried potatoes and yoghurt. Add rice and stir fry.
- Add 3 cups water, salt and cook the rice. Add fried cashewnuts.
- Garnish with dry grated coconut and coriander leaves, and serve hot.