Regional Transport Officer or as commonly known as RTO is a licensing, registration, taxation authority of a particular region. It is empowered to cancel the valid fitness certificate of vehicle if it is caught in mechanically unfit and unroadworthy condition.
The RTO official has the power to issue memo for the breach of provisions of motor vehicle act and rules. These memo generally consists of description of the offence, seal and signature of the issuing authority. The document is impounded only for minor offences.
Functions of The Transport Department
- Registration of Motor Vehicles.
- Issue of permits and fitness certificates to Transport Vehicles.
- Issue of licences to drivers and conductors.
- Enforcing the various provisions of the Central Motor Vehicle Act,
- Tamil Nadu Motor Vehicle Taxation Act and the rules framed under these Acts.
- Inspection of vehicles involved in accidents.
- Negotiating inter-state agreements.
- Collection of tax and fees on Motor Vehicle.
- Providing relief to victims of Motor Accidents from the Honorable
- Chief Minister's Accident relief fund.
- Advising on various road safety measures.
Each RTO, while issuing license plates, have their own code which is broken down into states or Union Territories, and their districts. Take for example, if Port Blair issues a license, its code is AN-01. AN is the code for Andaman & Nicobar Islands and 01 is the code for Port Blair in the Andaman District