In India the minimum age required for driving is 16 years for motorcycles of 50cc or less and 18 for all the other vehicles.
Driving License is a mandatory document to carry while driving a vehicle in India. Licenses are issued in India as per the different vehicle categories and a driver can also hold a multiple category license subject to the clearance of his driving license test. A valid Driving License is required to be carried in original at all times while driving a vehicle in India.
Browse through the following links to know more about Driving License:
- According to the Motor Vehicle Act 1988, a valid Driving Licence is necessary to drive any motor vehicle on public roads.
- Driving License is issued by the Regional Transport Office (RTO) of Motor Vehicles Inspector's Office after the recipient has passed a driving test and has proved the required age.
- The Driving License in India is segregated as Motorcycle License, Light Motor Vehicle (LMV) license, and Heavy Motor Vehicle (HMV) License.
- Learner's License is issued after passing a theory test.
- The legislation of Driving License is done through the 'Rules of the Road Regulation' and the Motor Vehicle Act 1988.
- The driver of the vehicle is required to keep the original copy of the license while driving.