Other Spellings :
Nayudu or Naidoo
Popular Sub-castes :
Balija, Kavara, Gavara Title usage. In Andhra Pradesh, many social groups such as Kapu, Balija, Telaga and Kamma use it along with others.
Regional Spread :
Mainly Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu
Food Habits :
Marriage Preference :
Prefer marriage within their community
History and Origin :
- CK Naidu - First Indian cricket team captain
- N Chandrababu Naidu - Ex CM of Andhra Pradesh
- Venkaiah Naidu - ex-president, Bharatiya Janata Party
- KG Baalakrishnan - Chairman KG Denim Limited of Tamil Nadu
- Anand Naidoo - CNN anchor
- Xavier Naidoo - German Singer of South African Indian Tamil descent
- Vaiko - Prominent Tamil Nadu nationalistic politician
- Indira Naidoo - Australian broadcaster
- Amma Naidoo - South African freedom fighter
Naidu is a common title used by various caste groups of Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and in the Tamil diaspora. Some believe that it is a title denoting a village or lineage headman and was granted by Kings and petty chiefs to those who were responsible for collecting taxes. Eventually it came to be inherited as a title by many although they no longer were either collecting taxes or were in any in leadership positions in villages. Some scholars believed 'Naidu' to be a Telugu derivation of the Sanskrit title for a head of a band of soldiers known as 'Nayaka' the protector.
Usage Abroad :
Naidu is used as a surname in South Africa where a variant spelling Naidoo is used amongst its Tamil citizens. The usage does not denote Telugu ancestry any longer as inter marriage has diluted such identities. In Sri Lanka, it is used amongst the Indian origin Hill Country Tamils and in Mauritius and Malaysia it is a surname of respective Tamil populations. In Fiji, Trinidad and Tobago and Guyana it is a surname of the broader Indian Diaspora and has lost its South Indian origins completely.