Regional Spread :
Andhra Pradesh and some parts of Tamil Nadu
Marriage Preference :
Prefer marriage within their own community
Famous Personalities :
Jalagam Vengal Rao - former Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh
History and Origin :
Velamas are one of the ancient feudal communities in Andhra Pradesh, India controlling land and ruling large areas of Andhra for several centuries. There are several ancient Velama forts, castles and estates still existing in various parts of Andhra Pradesh and in neighboring Tamil Nadu. Among the famous principalities or "estates" are Devarakonda, Rajakonda, Pithapuram and Kollapur.
- Pithapuramu - This famous Velama kingdom is now part of East Godavari district of Andhra Pradesh. Poets like Vinjamuri Somesha who wrote Ragahvayadaveeyamu were at the court of Pithapuramu.
- Bobbili - Bobbili is part of Visakhapatnam district of AP
- Venkatagiri - Venaktigiri Kingdom was ruled by Velugoti family of Velama tribe/caste. This family migrated from Velugodu in Telangana to Andhra and established themselves in Venkatagiri in 1600 AD.
- Sri Kalahasti - Damerla family of Velama tribe/caste ruled Kalhasti.
- Nujividu - This is a Velama kingdom in Krishna District. Venkatacharyudu.
- Narasaraopeta - This kingdom was ruled by Malraju family of Velama tribe/caste. This is also known as Bellamkonda kingdom.