Ms. Mayawati, is a name to reckon with when it comes to Indian politics. She has championed the cause of the socially oppressed and devoted her entire life for the upliftment of the dalits in India. Mayawati is the President of the Bahujan Samaj Party and also the present Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh.
Mayawati's political rise can be attributed largely to her chief political mentor the Late Kanshi Ram, founder of the Bahujan Samaj Party and the person who persuaded Mayawati to enter politics and leave her aspirations of becoming a Civil Servant. There has been no looking back for Mayawati ever since and she is now considered one of the real big personalities of Indian politics. Welfare of oppressed section of the society has always been the focus of this firebrand politician and she even put aside her personal life so as to contribute towards social and economic transformation of the Bahujan Samaj. Following is a profile of Ms. Mayawati, one of the most powerful female politicians of India and the present Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh:
Personal Profile (Personal Biography)
- - Full Name: Kumari Mayawati
- - Nick Name: Bahenji (Respected Sister)
- - Date of Birth (Birthday): January 15, 1956
- - Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
- - Hair Color: Black
- - Birth Place: New Delhi, India
- - Religion: Hindu
- - Marital Status: Single (She has taken a vow to remain unmarried the rest of her life and serve the Bahujan Samaj with the best of her capabilities)
- - Languages: Hindi, English
- - Education: B.A. from Kalindi College (Delhi University), B.Ed. From BMLG College, Ghaziabad, Meerut University, Law Degree from Delhi University
- - Father's Name: Mr. Prabhu Das
- - Mother's Name: Mrs. Ramrati
- - Other Family Members: Six brothers and two sisters
Ms. Mayawati has held several important positions in her political career till date.
- - Ms. Mayawati won the Bijnore Lok Sabha seat in 1989 and got entry into the Indian Parliament.
- - She was elected to the Rajya Sabha in 1994.
- - In 1995, she became India's first Dalit woman Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh.
- - She became the National President of the Bahujan Samaj Party in the year 2003
- - She became the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh again in the years 1997, 2002 and 2007. Thereby making her the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh on four different occasions.
- - Bahujan Samaj Aur Uski Rajniti (October 2000)
- - Mere Sangarshmai Jeevan Evam Bahujan Movement Ka Safarnama (January 2006)
- - A Travelogue of My struggle-ridden life and of Bahujan Samaj (March 2008)