Personal Profile (Personal Biography)
- - Original Name: Ranbir Raj Kapoor
- -Nick Name: Raju
- -Commonly Known Name: Showman of Bollywood
- -Date of Birth (Birthday): 14 December, 1924
- -Birth Place: Peshawar, North West Frontier Province, Pakistan
- -Date of Death: 2-6-88
- -Occupation: Actor, producer & director
- -Hair Color: Black
- -Religion: Hindu
- -Education: Non Matric
- -Marital Status: Married
- -Languages: Hindi, English
- - Father's Name: Prithavi Raj Kapoor
- - Mother's Name: Ramsarni (Rama) Devi nee Mehra
- - Brother(s): Shammi Kapoor and Shashi Kapoor
- - Sister(s): Urmila Sial
- - Spouse: Krishna Malhotra
- - Son: Randhir Kapoor, Rishi Kapoor, Rajiv Kapoor
- - Daughter: Reetu Nanda, Reema
Film Background (Filmography)
Production House: R.K. Banner
Debut Film: Inquilab (1935)
List of Films by Raj Kapoor
Director: Ram Teri Ganga Maili (1985), Prem Rog (1982), Satyam Shivam Sundaram (1978), Bobby (1973), Mera Naam Joker (1970), Sangam (1964), Shree 420 (1955), Awaara (1951, Barsaat (1949), Aag (1948)
Producer: Prem Rog (1982), Biwi O Biwi(1981), Satyam Shivam Sundaram(1978), Dharam Karam(1975), Bobby(1973), Kal Aaj Aur Kal(1971), Mera Naam Joker (1970), Sangam(1964), Jis Desh Men Ganga Behti Hai (1960), Ab Dilli Dur Nahin (1957), Jagte Raho (1956),Shree 420 (1955), Boot Polish (1954), Aah (1953), Awaar (1951), Barsaat (1949), Aag (1948),
Actor: Kim (1984), Vakil Babu (1982), Gopichand Jasoos (1982), Abdullah (1980), Naukri (1978), Chandi Sona (1977), Khan Dost (1976), Dharam Karam(1975), Do Jasoos (1975), Mera Desh Mera Dharam (1973), Kal Aaj Aur Kal(1971), Mera Naam Joker (1970), Sapnon Ka Saudagar (1968), Around the World (1967), Diwana (1967), Teesri Kasam (1966), Dulha Dulhan (1964), Sangam (1964), Dil Hi To Hai (1963), Ek Dil Sao Afsane (1963), Aashiq(1962), Nazrana (1961), Chhalia (1960), Jis Desh Men Ganga Behti Hai(1960), Shriman Satyawadi (1960), Anari (1959), Char Dil Char Raahein(1959), Do Ustad (1959), Kanhaiya (1959), Main Nashe Men Hoon (1959), Parvarish (1958), Phir Subha Hogi (1958), Sharada (1957), Chori Chori(1956), Jagte Raho(1956),Shree 420 (1955), Boot Polish (1954), Aah(1953), Dhoon (1953), Paapi(1953), Amber (1952), Anhonee (1952), Ashiana (1952), Bewafa (1952), Awaara (1951), Banwra (1950), Bawre Nain(1950), Dastan (1950),Jan Pahchan (1950), Pyaar (1950), Sargam (1950), Barsaat (1949), Andaz (1949), Parivartan (1949), Sunehre Din (1949), Aag(1948), Amar Prem (1948), Gopinath (1948), Neel Kamal (1947), Chittor Vijay (1947), Dil-Ki-Rani (1947), Jail Yatra (1947),Inquilab (1935), Hamari Baat (1943), Gauri (1943), Valmiki (1946).
Other Facts: Started fim career as clapper boy assisting kiddar sharma in Nilkamal (1947)
In 1948, at the age of 24, he established his own studio, R. K. Films, and became the youngest film director of his time.
Raj Kapoor suffered from asthma in his later years; he died of complications related to asthma in 1988 at 63 years of age.
Awards: International honors and Recognitions
- - Raj Kapoor was nominated for the 1953 Grand Prix award at the Cannes Film Festival for Award. In 1955, he was honored with prestigious degree in Tehran.
- - A Raj Kapoor Film Festival was held on his 75th Birth Anniversary at the Cultural Centre of Russia on 17th January, 2000.
- - From May 16-26, 2002, the 55th Cannes International Film Festival held, which comprised a Raj Kapoor Retrospective as a tribute to the showman.
- - The prestigious Centre George Pompidou in Paris was hosting an important 3-month long festival of popular Indian cinema from February to April 2004, dedicated to five great Indian film personalities: Raj Kapoor, Guru Dutt, Mehboob Khan, Bimal Roy and V. Shantaram.
Raj Kapoor film festival
- - Held in The Netherlands city from May 22 to June 1, 2008.
- - Held in the Oman capital Muscat from May 27 to June 10, 2008.
National honours and recognitions
- - Raj Kapoor had been conferred with a "National Award" for cinematography for contribution to Indian cinema.
- - In 1971, he was honoured with the Padma Bhushan, India's third highest civilian award from the Government of India.
- - In 1987, he was awarded the Dadasaheb Phalke Award, India's highest award for cinematic excellence.
- - On January 8, 2001, he was honoured with the "Best Director of the Millennium" award by Hero Honda-Stardust.
- - In 2002, he was named "Showman of the Millennium" by Star Screen Awards.
- - In 2007, he was conferred with a "Special Award" by Star Screen Awards.
Raj Kapoor had been nominated for 18 Filmfare awards in all.
- - Won Best Movie award for Ram Teri Ganga Maili in 1985
- - Won Best Director award for Ram Teri Ganga Maili in 1985
- - Won Best Movie award for Prem Rog in 1982
- - Won Best Director award for Prem Rog in 1982
- - Nominated Best Supporting Actor for Abdullah in 1980
- - Nominated Best Director for Satyam Shivam Sundaram in 1978
- - Nominated Best Director for Bobby in 1973
- - Nominated Best Movie for Bobby in 1973
- - Winner Best Director for Mera Naam Joker in 1970
- - Nominated Best Movie for Mera Naam Joker in 1970
- - Nominated Best Actor for Sangam in 1964
- - Winner Best Director for Sangam in 1964
- - Nominated Best Movie for Sangam in 1964
- - Winner Best Actor for Jis Desh Mein Ganga Behti Hai in 1960
- - Nominated Best Actor for Chhalia in 1960
- - Winner Best Actor for Anari in 1959
- - Nominated Best Actor for Phir Subha Hogi in 1958
- - Nominated Best Actor for Jagte Raho in 1956
Bengal Film Journalists' Association Awards
- - Won Best Director for Sangam in 1964
- - Won Best Editor for Sangam in 1964
- - Won BFJA Awards, Best Actor for Teesri Kasam in 1967
- - Won BFJA Awards, Best Actor for Mera Naam Joker in 1971
- - Won Best Director Mera Naam Joker in 1971