Personal Profile (Personal Biography)
Date of Birth:
September 8, 1933
Sangli, Bombay Presidency, British India
Pt. Dinanath Mangeshkar
Lata Mangeshkar, Usha Mangeshkar and Meena Mangeshkar
Rahul Dev Burman
Hemant Bhosle, Anand Bhosle
Interesting Facts About Asha Bhosle
Most Famous Songs
- Asha is an excellent cook and cooking is her favorite hobby
- runs restaurants in Dubai and Kuwait, called Asha's. Asha's offers traditional north-western Indian cuisine..
- Asha is a good mimicry artist
- It was Asha Bhosle who had asked Adnan Sami to pursue his interests in music seriously when he was 10 years old.
- Asha is the first Indian singer to be nominated for the Grammy Award.
- She has received seventeen Maharashtra State Awards.
- Asha bagged the Dadasaheb Phalke Award in 2000 for her outstanding contribution to Indian cinema.
- She holds honorary doctorates from the University of Amravati and University of Jalgaon in Literature.
- Asha has received The Freddie Mercury Award for Outstanding Achievement in Arts.
- The Birmingham Film Festival paid her a special tribute in November 2002.
- Asha Bhosle was honoured with the Padma Vibhushan by the Government of India.
Most Famous Albums
- Aayega Aanewaala (Mahal:1945)
- Pyar Kiya To Darna Kya (Mughal-E-Azam:1960)
- Bindiya Chamkegi (Do Raaste:1969)
- Aa Jaane Ja (Intequam:1969)
- Bahon Mein Chale Aa (Anamika:1973)
- Satyam Shivam Sundaram (Satyam Shivam Sundaram:1978)
Collaborations With Foreign Artists
- Dil Padosi Hai (With R.D. Burman)
- Legacy (With Ustad Ali Akbar Khan)
- Rahul And I
- Janam Samjha Karo (Leslie Lewis)
- Aap Ki Asha
- Kabhi to nazar milao (With Adnan Sami)
- Asha and Friends (With Sanjay Dutt, Urmila Matondkar and Brett Lee)
Awards and Honors
- In the mid-1980s, Asha sang with Boy George (Bow down mister) and Stephen Lauscombe
- In 1997, she sang a love song with the boy band Code Red
- recorded the song The Way you Dream (One Giant Leap, ) with Michael Stipe that was used in the English movie, Bulletproof Monk.
- In 2002, she appeared along with Michael Stipe on the track "The Way You Dream".
- In 2003, British opera pop singer Sarah Brightman sampled her song "Dil Cheez Kya Hai" on her album Harem.
- In 2005, American string quartet Kronos Quartet re-recorded the R D Burman compositions like Chura Liya, Piya Tu, Mera Kuchh Saaman among others and got Asha to sing them.
- in 2005, the Black Eyed Peas sampled her songs "Ae Naujawan Sab Kuchh Yahan" (Apradh, 1972) and "Yeh Mera Dil Pyaar Ka Diwana" (Don, 1978) in their hit single "Don't Phunk with My Heart".
- In late 2006, Asha collaborated with Australian test cricket star, Brett Lee.
- In 2006 Asha Bhosle recorded one song for the soundtrack of Pakistani movie Mein Ek Din Laut Kay Aaaonga.
- Filmfare Awards (1968, 1969, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, and 1979)
- National Awards (1981 and 1986)
- 1987: Nightingale Of Asia Award
- 1989: Lata Mangeshkar Award (M.P)
- 1997: Screen Videocon Award
- 1997: MTV Award
- 1997: Channel V Award
- 1998: Dayawati Modi Award
- 1999: Lata Mangeshkar Award (Maharashtra)
- 2000: Singer of the Millennium
- 2000: Zee Gold Bollywood Award
- 2001: MTV Award
- 2002: BBC Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2002: Zee Cine Award for Best Playback Singer - Female
- 2002: Zee Cine Special Award for Hall of Fame
- 2002: Screen Videocon Award
- 2002: Sansui Movie Award
- 2003: Swaralaya Yesudas Award for outstanding contributions to Indian music
- 2004: Living Legend Award by the Federation of Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- 2005: MTV Immies, Best Female Pop Act for Aaj Jaane Ki Zid Na Karo
- 2005: Most Stylish People in Music