Sarson ka Saag
Sarson ka Saag, is originally a Punjabi dish but now its gaining popularity all over North India. It is prepared with mustard leaves and often accompanied with makki de Roti. The luscious green sarson ka saag tastes fabulous with makki de roti and a dollop of butter. Make sarson ka saag this time with us and leave everyone asking for more
Ingredients (Makes: 5-6 rotis)
- 1 kg:Sarson (green mustard)
- 250 gm:Spinach
- 2 fresh:Shalgam (turnips) (peeled and chopped (optional)
- 3-4 flakes:Garlic (finely chopped)
- 2" piece:Ginger (finely chopped)
- 2-3Green chillies (finely chopped)
- 2 tsp: Makki ka atta (maize flour)
- 11/2 tsp:Powdered gur (jaggery)
- Salt to taste
- 3 tsp:
- 1/2 tsp:
Red chilli powder
Green chillies (finely chopped)
- 1" piece:
Ginger (finely chopped)
- Wash, clean and chop the mustard and spinach leaves.
- Pressure cook the leaves with garlic, ginger, green chillies and shalgam. Add salt and 1/2 a cup of water. The saag will be done in 15-20 mins. Remove from fire and cool.
- Grind the spinach to a rough paste. Add makki ka atta and cook for 15 minutes on low heat.
- Prepare tadka with ginger, green chillies and red chillies in ghee and add to the hot saag and mix lightly.
- Serve hot with Makki ki Roti.