- 2 cup: Rice - preferably parboiled
- 1/2 cup: Split and husked Black Gram (Dhuli Urad) - soaked with rice for 5-6 hours
- 1/2 tsp: Fenugreek Seeds
- Oil to smear the pan for cooking the dosas
- 2 tsp: Salt
- 500 gm (3 cups): Potatoes - boiled, peeled and cubed
- 1 1/2 cups: Onions - sliced not very thin
- 1/4 tsp: Powdered Turmeric
- 2-3: Green chillies - chopped coarsely (optional)
- 6-7 : Curry leaves or 1/2 tsp dried curry leaves
- 2 tbsp: Oil
- 1 tsp: Mustard seeds
- 2 tsp: Salt
- 1/2 cup: Water
For the Masala Filling
- Grind daal mixture together to a very smooth consistency. Add salt and enough water to make into a dropping consistency. Leave to ferment for about 5-6 hours, till a little spongy.
- If thickened too much, add a little water to thin a bit. Heat tawa, and brush oil over it. When really hot, splash a little water over it, and immediately pour batter onto it, spreading it thin, with a circular motion. This will have to be very swift and will need a bit of practice.
- After spreading the batter, lower the heat and dribble a little oil around the edges so that it seeps under the dosa. When edges start browning a bit, pass a flat spoon under it to ease the dosa off the pan.
- Put desired filling in the centre and fold the two edges over. Serve accompanied with sambhar and chutney
- Heat the oil in a heavy based pan and add the mustard seeds, then onions, curry leaves and green chillies, and sauté over high heat till the onions are a little transparent.
- Add the salt and the turmeric and mix well before adding the potatoes. Turn the potatoes around till well mixed and add the water and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes.
Copyright © 2014 SurfIndia
(A premier directory of India). All Rights Reserved.