Thenga Churuttu (Mango pickle: Kerala style)
- 2 large: Mangoes, cut into small square pieces
- 4 tsp: Chilli powder
- 3 tsp: Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon: Asafoetida
- 1 teaspoon: Turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon: Mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon: Oil
- Heat oil in a pan.
- To that add mustard seeds.
- When it pops reduce heat to low and add chilli pwd, salt, asafoetida, turmeric and stir for about 3 min. Turn off the heat. Let it cool for a while.
- Add this mixture to the cut mangoes and mix thoroughly.
- Keep this for 7-8 days for the flavour to seep into mangoes.
- You can add a little bit of distilled vinegar if you like. It will help to keep the freshness.
- This is the Kerala mango achar.