- For Atta (flour) dough:
- 1½ cup: Whole wheat atta (Littis are more crunchy if made with maida)
- ¾ to 1 cup: Regular or fat-free yogurt (dahi)
- (Make dough from atta using yogurt and NOT water. The dough should be soft and fully kneaded. Keep aside covered.)
- For Filling:
- 1 cup: Sattu (a special gram flour)
- 4 cloves: Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 inch: Ginger, finely chopped
- 2 or more: Green chilies, finely chopped
- ½ cup: Fresh dhaniya (cilantro) leaves, finely chopped
- ½ tsp: Mangrella (nigella or onion seed)
- 2 tbsp: Mustard
- 1 tsp: Ajwain (thyme)
- 1 tbsp: Lemon juice
- 1 or 2 tbsp: Mircha achar masala (fillings from the red chili pickle) Salt to taste
- Mix all the filling ingredients with sattu together nicely. Add ¼ to ½ cup water to make the stuffing moist and easy to fill.
- Now make 8 balls from the atta (flour) dough. Dust each ball with dry atta and make a patty roughly 2.5" to 3" diameter in size with hand. You don't need a belan (rolling pin) for this.
- Stuff 2 to 3 tsp sattu filling in the center of the patty and close it from all sides.
- When all the littis are stuffed, pre-heat the oven to 375 F and put all the litties on a foil and bake till one side is brown or black spots come on the litti surface. Then turn over the litti and bake for few
- Take out and dip in pure ghee or butter and serve with achar or dhaniya (cilantro) chutney and/or baigan ka bhurta (mashed and prepared egg-plant).
Copyright © 2013 SurfIndia
(A premier directory of India). All Rights Reserved.