It is a preparation of buttermilk with thick gravy. Sliced plantains known as nenthra-kaya and yams (chena) are boiled in water with salt and chillies. Buttermilk mixed with ground coconut pulp is poured in proper time and the preparation is flavored by the addition of mustard, fried in coconut oil.
Ingredients (Serves 10)
- 100 gm: Yam sliced into small pieces
- ½ litre: Mashed yogurt (without water)
- 1 small: Raw banana
- 1/2 cup: Grated coconut
- ½ tsp: Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp: Pepper powder
- 1cup: Water
- ¼ tsp: Turmeric powder
- ½ tsp: Fried and powdered fenugreek
- 3-4: Green chillies (slit the edge)
- 3 tsp: Ghee
- 2-3: Dried chilli (split into 2)
- 1 tsp: Mustard
- 1 tsp: Ghee
- 1sprig: Curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Remove the skin of the plantain and slice it into small pieces.
- Grind the coconut and cumin to a smooth paste without adding water. Keep it aside.
- Dissolve the pepper powder in ½ cup of water and strain it through a clean cloth. Cook the vegetables in this water.
- Add the turmeric powder and salt. Stir well.
- When the water dries, add 1 tsp ghee. Pour the yogurt and mix well. Lower the flame.
- When the curd boils and becomes dry and thick, add the ground coconut mixture and fenugreek powder into it. Stir well.
- Brings to a boil and remove from fire. Season with mustard, dried chillies and curry leaves.