Zunka is the dry version of Pithale prepared with the gram flour. Zunka is an all time favorite of most of Marathi homes in India. Zunka is not only popular for its wonderful taste but it has a great nutrition value. Almost vegetables can be used with the Zunka and the base ingredient chicken pea flour is rich in protein. What's up? Simple and nutritious Zunka is on your menu now.
- 3 cups: Gram flour (besan)
- 1/2 cup: Onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup: Tomatoes, chopped (or 1 tsp: tamarind pulp)
- 2 flakes: Garlic, finely chopped
- 3-4: Green chillies
- 3 tbsp: Coriander leaves
- 4-5: Curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp: Chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp: Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp: Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp: Cumin seeds
- 4 tbsps: Oil
- Salt to taste
- Dry roast the besan in a pan till pink. Reserve.
- Heat oil in a kadhai and add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. When they pop, add green chillies, curry leaves, garlic and onions. Fry till golden. Add tomatoes (or tamarind). Lastly add the besan, chilli and turmeric powders, salt and a little water. Stir, with no lumps, till brown and fragrant.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with bhakris.
Note: Cooked drumsticks, methi leaves, or other suitable vegetables may be added to zunka, if desired.