Channa Dal Dhokla (Steamed Gram Cakes)
- 250 gm: Channa dal
- 50 ml: Yoghurt
- For Tempering
- 20 ml: Oil
- 5 gm: Mustard seeds
- 3 gm: Red chillies
- 2 gm: Asafoetida
- 5 ml: Lemon juice
- 3 gm: Soda bi-carb
- 10 gm: Green chillies
- 20 gm: Coriander leaves
- 10 gm: Ginger
- 10 gm: Turmeric
- Salt to taste
- 10 ml: Oil
- 20 ml: Water
- For Garnish
- For the preparation, chop coriander leaves, green chillies and ginger. Grate the coconut.
- Soak lentils in water for at least 2 hrs and blend with the yoghurt, to form the consistency of pancake batter.
- Mix in the sugar and leave in a warm place to ferment overnight. Mix in the soda bi-carb with oil and leave in a cool place.
- For cooking, mix in the remaining ingredients for the batter after it is fermented. Grease a mould or other suitable vessel and place in a steamer.
- Add the soda bicarb to the batter and mix well till light and fluffy. Immediately pour into the prepared vessel.
- Cover and steam for 20 minutes. Remove, cool and cut into cubes.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, when crackling add the rest of the tempering ingredients.
- Pour over the dhokla cubes.
- Garnish by sprinkling grated coconut and coriander leaves.