Thenga Churuttu (Mango pickle: Kerala style)
- - 2 large: Mangoes, cut into small square pieces
- - 4 tsp: Chilli powder
- - 3 tsp: Salt
- - 1/2 teaspoon: Asafoetida
- - 1 teaspoon: Turmeric powder
- - 1/2 teaspoon: Mustard seeds
- - 1 teaspoon: Oil
- - Heat oil in a pan.
- - To that add mustard seeds.
- - When it pops reduce heat to low and add chilli pwd, salt, asafoetida, turmeric and stir for about 3 min. Turn off the heat. Let it cool for a while.
- - Add this mixture to the cut mangoes and mix thoroughly.
- - Keep this for 7-8 days for the flavour to seep into mangoes.
- - You can add a little bit of distilled vinegar if you like. It will help to keep the freshness.
- - This is the Kerala mango achar.