Fish Fried Rice
Ingredients (Serves: 4-6)
- - 1/2 kg: Fish, cut into small pieces (white fish is best)
- - 2 cup: Long grained rice
- - 2 large: Onions, chopped
- - 2 tbsp: Desiccated coconut
- - 1 tbsp: Ground coriander
- - 11/22 tsp: Turmeric powder
- - 1-inch: Piece ginger
- - 2 tsp: Ground cumin seeds
- - ½ tsp: Fenugreek seeds
- - 1 : Bay leaf
- - Juice of a ½ lime
- - 1/2 cup: Oil
- - Salt to taste
- - Wash the rice and soak it in cold water for at least 1 hour.
- - Wash and cut the fish into 2-inch pieces.
- - Mix the coriander, cumin, turmeric, fenugreek and ginger together.
- - Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan and fry the mixture for about a minute.
- - Place the fish in the pan, stir without breaking the pieces.
- - Cover the pan and allow the fish to cook in its own steam for five minutes.
- - Remove the fish carefully with a fish slice and keep them warm.
- - Meanwhile, fry the onions with the bay leaf in the remaining oil till brown.
- - Drain the rice and add to the onions.
- - Mix the coconut and lemon juice in the rice and fry lightly for a couple of minutes.
- - Pour a cup of water into the pan in which fish was fried and bring to the boil, pour this water into the rice mixture.
- - Add extra warm water, just enough for the rice to simmer and cook
- - Turn the rice out on a serving plate and arrange the cooked fish pieces on top.
- - Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.