Kashmiri Mutanjan (A Type of Lamb Pullao)
- 250 gm: Rice
- 500 gm: Lamb (cubed)
- 2 large: Onions (quartered)
- 2 pc(1 inch): Cinnamon sticks
- 10-12: Cloves
- 12 pcs: Peppercorns
- 6-7: Cardamoms
- 1/2 tsp: Coriander powder
- 1-2 tbs: Sugar
- 1 tsp: Lemon (juice)
- 1 tsp: Almonds or pine nuts
- 1/2 tsp: Saffron (soaked in 1/4 tbs milk)
- 4 tbs: Ghee
- Salt to taste
- Make bouquet of onions, cinnamon, cloves, 8 peppercorns, 4 cardamoms, and coriander.
- Put bag of spices in a pan, add meat, salt and enough water to cover. Cook until water reduces to half. Remove bag of spices and squeeze out the flavor. Add the sugar and juice from 1/2 lemon; cook until liquid is syrupy.
- In an another pan boil the rice in water with the remaining spices and some salt until barely tender; drain.
- In a casserole put a layer of rice, then the meat, then remaining rice.
- Pour saffron milk over top, sprinkle with nuts, cover tightly, bake like pullao (~350 F for 30-45 minutes).