Kashmiri Roast Yakhni
- - 1 lamb leg: About 3 kg, cut into 4 pieces
- - 1.5 kg: Yoghurt (dahi, creamy)
- - 250 gm: Ghee
- - ½: Nutmeg
- - 2 tsp: Ginger paste
- - 2 large: Onions
- - 2 tbs: Cayenne pepper
- - 2 tbs: Poppy seeds (white)
- - 1 tbs: Black peppercorns
- - 1 pc: Garlic clove (It's supposed to be "gold garlic")
- - 1 tbs: Almonds
- - 1 small: Dried coconut
- - 6-7: Cardamoms (black)
- - 3 pcs(1 inch): Cinnamon sticks
- - 3-4: Bay leaves (Indian tez patta)
- - 1 lump: Asafoetida (hing) soaked in 1/2 cup hot water
- - Salt to taste
- - Grind together: black pepper, cayenne, poppy seeds, garlic, ginger, onions, almonds, coconut, nutmeg and salt.
- - Make slashes in the meat and fill with spice/onion paste.
- - Put meat into a pan with ghee, dahi, cardamoms, cinnamon, and bay leaves, then cook on medium heat. Turn meat occasionally and sprinkle with hing water, adding water or dahi if necessary. As meat becomes done, reduce heat. Meat should be absolutely tender when done.