Usal is a nutritious dish prepared with sprouted pulses and peas. Here we are making it with sprouted chanas. Usal is popular, easy to make Maharashtrian dish. Try this healthy dish in your break fast. Vaal provides you the much needed protein, calcium and folic acid. Make it little spicy and exciting children will like it in tiffin snacks.
- 2 cups: Red chana, soaked for one night, drained and wrapped in a piece of muslin cloth till well sprouted
- 2 cup: Cashewnuts, soaked in water for 2 hours
- 8-10: Curry leaves
- 4-6: Green chillies, chopped
- 1/2 cup: Coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 cup: Grated coconut
- 1/2 tsp: Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp: Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp: Turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp: Asafoetida
- 3 tbsp: Oil
- Salt and Sugar to taste
- Clean and pressure cook sprouted chana till soft but whole. Boil cashewnuts till soft.
- Drain both and reserve.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin and mustard seeds. When they pop, add green chillies, curry leaves, asafoetida and turmeric powder. Stir fry.
- Add chana, cashewnuts and a little water. Add salt and a pinch of sugar to give a sweet touch. Mix well and cook
- Garnish with grated coconut and chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot.