Thechwani is a Garhwali recipe. It is usually prepared using radish root. In local language it is known as Pahari Mula that has a round root. The radish root or the potatos are never cut, it is crushed into pieces. Hence the name thinchao.
- Radish root: 3 to 4
- Potato: 1
- Onion, medium chopped: 1
- Tomato, medium and chopped: 1
- Garlic: 4 to 5 cloves
- Ginger: approximately 3 cm
- Dry Faran or Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
- Red chillies whole: 4 to 5
- Asafoetida: one pinch
- Dry coriander: 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
- Red chillies powder: 1/2 tsp
- Water: 6 cups
- Oil or Ghee: 2 tblsp
- Salt according to taste
- First wash the radish and potatoes and then peal and crush them in small pieces. Along with it also crush ginger and garlic.
- Heat the oil in moderate flame and then fry and stir the crushed garlic and ginger in the oil.
- Then add the crushed radish and potatos. Fry it for counple of minutes.
- In the remaining oil, add cumin seeds, red chillies and asafoetida, chopped onion and fry the stuff till it turns light brown.
- Next, put turmeric powder, dry coriander powder and red chillies powder in it.
- Again for few seconds you need to fry and then add the fried vegetable and chopped tomatoes to it. Also add salt (according to taste) and water.
- Boil it for three to four minutes, add the remaining water and cook it in low flame for another 30 minutes.
- Garnish it with coriander leaves and green chillies.