Chutnneys form the accessories of the Indian Cuisine. Served as side dishes, there is a broad category of Chutneys prepared in India. The preparation and ingredients vary from region to region. Here is a recipe to prepare Tomato Chutney at home.
- 1 large chopped Onion
- 2 large chopped Tomatoes
- 2-3 chopped Garlic pods
- 2 tbsp Tamarind extract
- 3/4 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp Mustard seeds
- 8-10 Curry leaves
- Pinch of Asafoetida powder
- Salt to taste
- Take some oil in a pan and fry the chopped onions till they become translucent. If possible, use madras or pearl onions instead of large onions for good taste.
- Add the garlic pods to the chopped onions and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- To the fried mixturte, add some chopped tomatoes and fry till the tomatoes are cooked and mashed
- Add salt and chilli powder and stir for 3 minutes.
- Remove themixture from fire and allow it to cool.
- Take the cooked mixture and grind it to a fine paste in a food processor.
- Heat some oil in the same kadai and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds splutter, add asafoetida and curry leaves .
- After 1/2 minute, add ground paste and stir fry for 3 minutes.
- Tomato chutney is ready to be served.