- - 3-4 tbsp: Red Gram Dal
- - 4 (large & finely chopped): Tomatoes
- - 1/2 tsp: Garlic paste
- - 1-inch piece: Ginger (finely chopped)
- - 1 tsp: Garlic grated
- - 1-2: Green chilies finely chopped
- - Coriander leaves, finely chopped
- - 1/2 tsp: Turmeric powder
- - 1tsp: Mustard seeds
- - 1tsp: Cumin seeds
- - 1-2 : Whole dried red chili (halved)
- - A pinch: Asafoetida
- - Curry leaves few
- - Chili or pepper powder to taste
- - 2 tbsp: Oil
- - 21/2 cups: Water
- - Salt to taste
- - Pick, wash and pressure cook the dal and keep side.
- - Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves, dried chili and asafetida. When mustard seeds start to splutter add garlic, ginger, tomatoes and green chilies. Add salt, chili & turmeric powder and a cup: of water. Simmer for 5-6 minutes and add the cooked dal and 11/2 cup of water and bring to boil.
- - Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves.