- - 3 cup: Rice-soak in water with daal
- - 1 cup: Urad daal dhuli-soak for 4 hours
- - 1 cup: Coconut-grated
- - 1 tbsp: Methi dana
- - Salt to taste
- - An appam maker or a small, shallow kadahi- 6”-8” diameter on top Oil to cook
- - Drain the water out of the daal mixture and grind together with the coconut and salt.
- - Leave to ferment 6-7 hours, or overnight.
- - When fermented, add enough water to make it a pouring consistency.
- - Heat a tablespoon of oil in the kadahi/appam maker, swirl it around and pour off extra oil.
- - When hot, pour about L cup batter in the kadahi.
- - Turn the kadahi around swiftly, to let a thin layer rise up to cover the sides of the kadahi also. The center is thicker.
- - Cover, lower the heat and cook, till the edges start lifting (about a minute).
- - Uncover, ease out the appam thus formed and transfer on to a serving plate.
- - Continue thus with the rest of the batter.
- - You might have to grease again only after 3-4 appams