Balchao (Prawn Preserve)
- 1/4 kg: Prawns (shelled).
- 1 cup: chopped onions
- 1 inch piece: Ginger, finely chopped
- 3 cloves: Garlic, finely chopped
- 4-5: Green chillies, seeded and chopped
- 1 tsp: Cummin seeds
- 1 tsp: Peppercorns
- 10 : Kashmiri chillies
- 1 tsp: Ground turmeric
- 2 cups: Oil
- Minced handful of curry leaves
- Vinegar to taste
- Salt to taste
- Grind together the cumin, peppercorns and chillies with the vinegar. Mix in the turmeric.
- Heat the oil and add the curry leaves and fry until brown. Add the prawns, masala, garlic, ginger and green chillies. Simmer for 10 minutes or so.