- 250 gm: Baingans of the small variety
- 1/2cup: Onions-finely chopped
- ½ tsp: Garlic paste
- ½ tsp: Ginger paste
- 1/4cup: Grated dry coconut
- 2 tsp: Tamarind paste or to taste
- 1 tbsp: Coriander seeds-roasted
- 2 tsp: Cumin, roasted
- 2 tsp: Sesame seeds, roasted
- 1/4tsp: Turmeric
- 1/2tsp: Powdered red pepper
- 7-8 : Curry leaves
- 1 tbsp: Hara dhania for garnish
- 1/4cup: Oil
- Oil for deep frying
- 2 tsp: Salt or to taste
- Slit the baingans and deep fry over high heat, till glossy and a little tender.
- Remove from oil and keep aside.
- Grind the coconut and the roasted coriander, cumin and sesame seeds together, using a little water if need be.
- Heat the 1/4cup of oil and sauté the onions, ginger and garlic till onions are soft and a little transparent. Add curry leaves and turn around, then the ground mixture and sauté till the fat separates.
- Add the tamarind paste, salt, turmeric, red pepper and mix well, and then add the baingans. Turn around a few times.
- Add about a quarter of a cup of water.
- Bring to a boil and simmer and cover for about 5 minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with the hara dhania.