- - 250 gm: Baingans of the small variety
- - 1/2cup: Onions-finely chopped
- - ½ tsp: Garlic paste
- - ½ tsp: Ginger paste
- - 1/4cup: Grated dry coconut
- - 2 tsp: Tamarind paste or to taste
- - 1 tbsp: Coriander seeds-roasted
- - 2 tsp: Cumin, roasted
- - 2 tsp: Sesame seeds, roasted
- - 1/4tsp: Turmeric
- - 1/2tsp: Powdered red pepper
- - 7-8 : Curry leaves
- - 1 tbsp: Hara dhania for garnish
- - 1/4cup: Oil
- - Oil for deep frying
- - 2 tsp: Salt or to taste
- - Slit the baingans and deep fry over high heat, till glossy and a little tender.
- - Remove from oil and keep aside.
- - Grind the coconut and the roasted coriander, cumin and sesame seeds together, using a little water if need be.
- - Heat the 1/4cup of oil and sauté the onions, ginger and garlic till onions are soft and a little transparent. Add curry leaves and turn around, then the ground mixture and sauté till the fat separates.
- - Add the tamarind paste, salt, turmeric, red pepper and mix well, and then add the baingans. Turn around a few times.
- - Add about a quarter of a cup of water.
- - Bring to a boil and simmer and cover for about 5 minutes.
- - Serve hot garnished with the hara dhania.