Bhajanichi Vatana Amti
- 1 1/2 cups: Black peas, sprouted, cooked
- 3 : Kokums (a deep purple berry that has a pleasing sweet and sour
- 1 cup: Tomatoes, chopped finely
- 1 cup: Large onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup: Large onion, chopped finely
- 2 cups: Grated fresh coconut
- 1 cup: Coriander leaves, chopped
- 8 : Cloves
- 8 : Peppercorns
- 2 tbsp: Coriander seeds
- 1 1/2 tbsp: Chilli powder
- 1 tsp: Garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp: Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp: Cumin seeds
- 3 tbsp: Oil
- Salt to taste
- Heat 1 tsp oil and add peppercorns, cloves and coriander seeds. When they pop, add sliced onion. Brown. Add coconut gratings and brown the whole lot. Cool and grind to a fine paste, adding a little water as needed. Reserve.
- Heat remaining oil and add cumin seeds. When they crackle, add the chopped onion. Brown. Add tomatoes, sprouted peas and all the spice powders. Add salt and boil, mashing a few peas with the back of the ladle.
- Add ground paste and sufficient water to make enough gravy. Add the kokums, stir and boil once.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with puris made of rice flour, or with rotis and onion slices.