- - 500 gm: Fish (of your choice), cut into 2 ½ cm/1" thick slices, diagonally
- - 1 tsp: Turmeric
- - ½ tsp: Salt or to taste
- - 1 ½ cup: Onion, roughly chopped
- - 1 tsp: Garlic, chopped
- - 2 tsp: Ginger, chopped
- - 2-3: Dried red pepper
- - ½ tsp: Turmeric
- - 1 tsp: Salt or to taste
- - ½ cup: Mustard oil
- - 1 tsp: Onion seeds
- - ¼ tsp: Cinnamon, broken in small pieces
- - Coriander leaves for garnish
- - 4 pcs: Cloves
- - 4 pcs: Green cardamoms
- - 1-2: Bay leaf
- - 2-3: Green chillies, slit lengthwise
- - 3 cup: Water
- - Wash the fish and apply the ½ tsp salt and 1 tsp turmeric over all the pieces.
- - Heat the oil in a heavy based saucepan, and fry fish slices in it, first on one side, then the other, over high heat, till a golden colour.
- - Lift the fish out of the oil, and keep aside.
- - In the same oil, add the onion seeds, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and bay leaf, stir fry 2-3 times, and add the ground paste.
- - Sauté till fat separates then add the green chillies and stir fry a few times. Add the water and bring to a boil and then simmer for about 15 minutes, uncovered.
- - Add the fish just before serving, bring to a boil (by which time the fish should be cooked through, otherwise simmer till done).
- - Serve hot garnished with the coriander leaves.