Momo (Steamed Dumpling)
Ingredients (Serves 4 to 6)
- - 4 cups: Wheat flour
- - 750 gm: Meat minces
- - 2 large: Onion, chopped
- - 1 thumb-sized: Ginger, finely chopped
- - 1 Teaspoon: Salt
- - Mix well wheat flour with 2 cups of water and knead into a stiff paste, roll out on a floured board till it is very thin. The rolled dough should be about 2 feet square.
- - Cut in circle with the rim of tea cup.
- - Place a circle of dough on your left hand, slightly stretch the edges and place about a teaspoon of filling in the centre.
- - Then with your right thumb and forefinger pleat the dough together over the centre of the meat, forming a pin-wheel design. Your left thumb is used to tuck the minced meat down as you go, and the dumpling turns on your palm as you pleat around it. A special steamer locally called moktu is required.
- - Filled up dumplings are placed on oiled racks, slightly separated in the moktu.
- - Bottom of the moktu is filled with water and steam the dumplings for 20-25 min.
- - Momo is ready to serve hot.
- - Momo is eaten with meat/vegetable soup, and tomato achar.