Rice spiced with chicken and spices
- 1 kg: Chicken, skinned, cut into serving pieces
- 1 1/2 cups: Long grained rice, soaked in water for 1/2 hour, washed
- 2 cups: Yoghurt
- 1 cup: Clarified butter (ghee)
- 1 cup: Milk
- 10 pcs: Peppercorns
- 8 pcs: Cloves
- 8 sprigs: Mint, leaves only
- 5-6: Cardamoms
- 4 medium size: Onions, sliced
- 1 cup: Coriander leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup: Almonds, blanched, halved
- 3 tbsp: Ginger-garlic paste
- 2 tsp: Chilli powder
- 1 tsp: Garam masala powder
- 1 tsp: Mixed cumin seeds and shahjeera
- 1 tsp: Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp: Saffron
- Salt to taste
- Mix ginger-garlic paste, salt and yoghurt. Apply to chicken pieces and leave for 1 hour to marinate.
- Heat 1/2 cup ghee and add cumin seeds and shahjeera, cloves, cardamoms, peppercorn and almonds. Add chicken, turmeric, chilli powder, garam masala powder, and 1/2 cup water. Cook till chicken is tender. Add coriander and mint leaves. Reserve.
- Heat 1/4 cup ghee in a pressure cooker and add rice. Fry till golden brown. Add 3 cups water and pressure cook till the rice is done but not soft.
- Heat remaining 1/4 cup ghee and fry onion slices till brown and crisp. Drain and reserve.
- In a large pan, put a layer of rice. Top with a few fried onion slices and saffron strands. Add a layer of chicken. Repeat till all rice and chicken pieces are over. Cover tightly and finish cooking in an oven or by placing the pan on a hot griddle till each grain of rice is fluffy and the biryani is aromatic.
- Serve hot.