Panch Ratni Dal
- 30 gms :Moong Dal (whole)
- 30 gms :Masoor Dal (whole)
- 30 gms :Urad Dal (whole)
- 30 gms : Channa Dal
- 30 gms :Tur Dal
- 1 tsp :Black Cumin Seeds
- 2 chopped :Onions
- 1 tsp :Coriander Powder
- ½ tsp :Red Chili Powde:
- ½ tsp :Turmeric Powder
- Fennel Powder To taste
- 2 tsp :Coriander leaves
- 3 tsp :Ghee
- Salt As required
For the Tempering
- 2 tbsp :White Butter
- 2 chopped :Tomatoes
- ½ cup :Yoghurt
- Garam masala a pinch
- Pick and wash the lentils in running water and soak for an hour, drain and keep aside.
- Chop the onions and clean, wash and chop the coriander.
- Wash and finely chop the tomatoes and whisk the yoghurt in a bowl.
- Heat the ghee in a handi, add cumin seeds and saute over medium heat until they begin to crackle.
- Add onions, saute until brown, add lentils and stir for 4-5 minutes.
- Then add water, bring to a boil, now add coriander powder, red chilies, Turmeric powder and salt and cover and simmer until lentils are cooked.
- Mash the lentils lightly against the sides with a spoon.
- Sprinkle cumin and fennel powder, stir for 2-3 minutes.
- To prepare the tempering, melt butter in a kadhai, add tomatoes, yoghurt and garam masala, and saute on medium heat until the fat leaves the sides.
- Put in the lentils and stir for 3-4 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and this can be served with roti.