Personal Profile (Personal Biography)
Date of Birth (Birthday):
6 October 1984
Vereeniging, Transvaal Province, South Africa
6 ft 5 in
JA Morkel (brother)
National Team :
Sports Played :
Morkel began his first class career, at the age of 19, with a match for Easterns against the touring West Indians. His first batting effort, however, was an unbeaten 44, which included a ninth-wicket stand of 141 with Albie as Easterns posted 313, trailing by 21. He claimed his first top-class wicket by dismissing Ramnaresh Sarwan, caught by Darryl Cullinan for 72. He made his ODI debut playing for an Africa XI side again their Asian counterparts and took 3 wickets. In the following game he opened the bowling with his brother Albie and this was the first time in ODI history that two brothers have done so.
- Morkel has a strike rate of 84.24 in ODI's
- He also took nine wickets against the touring Zimbabweans, playing for a Combined XI of Easterns and Northerns.
- Morkel went on tour to Pakistan with South Africa Academy in August 2005, taking six wickets in two four-day matches
- Morkel replaced Dale Steyn to make his Test debut three weeks later, on the 2006–07 Boxing Day Test in Durban against India.
- Morkel has played in England for Kent and began the 2008 season deputising for Rana Naved at Yorkshire.
Indian Cricket Stars
International Cricket Stars