Shreyas Iyer Wiki
Shreyas Santosh Iyer is an Indian international cricketer who plays for the Indian cricket team as
a right-handed batter. He has played in all formats for the Indian team. Iyer scored a century in
his debut test match and a half-century in the second innings against New Zealand in November 2021
and became the first Indian player to do so. Iyer plays for Mumbai in domestic cricket and captains
Kolkata Knight Riders in the Indian Premier League. He played for the India Under-19 cricket team at
the 2014 ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup.
Shreyas Iyer was born on 6 December 1994 in Chembur, Mumbai to Santosh Iyer a Tamilian father and
his mother Rohini Iyer a Tuluva. His ancestors from Thrissur, Kerala. He was educated at Don Bosco
High School, Matunga and at Ramniranjan Anandilal Podar College of Commerce and Economics, Mumbai.
At the age of 18, Iyer was spotted by coach Pravin Amre at the Shivaji Park Gymkhana. Amre trained
him in his early cricketing days. Iyer's teammates at the age group levels used to compare him to
Virender Sehwag. During his graduation from Podar College in Mumbai, Iyer helped his college team to
lift some trophies.
Shreyas Iyer's father, Santosh Iyer, is a businessman. His mother, Rohini Iyer, is a homemaker. He
has one elder sister, Sheetal Iyer. Iyer's parents have been very supportive of his cricketing
career and have played a major role in his success.
Records and Achievements
- Iyer made his first-class debut for Mumbai in the 2014/15 Ranji Trophy season. He scored 809
runs in his maiden season at an average of 50.56.
- In the 2015/16 Ranji Trophy season, Iyer scored 1321 runs at an average of 73.39, including four
- Iyer made his Indian Premier League (IPL) debut for the Delhi Daredevils in the 2015 season. He
was named the Emerging Player of the Year in that season after scoring 439 runs.
- Iyer made his international debut for India in an One Day International (ODI) match against Sri
Lanka in December 2017.
- In November 2021, Iyer made his Test debut for India against New Zealand. He scored a century in
- innings, becoming the first Indian player to do so.
- Iyer has scored six centuries and 18 half-centuries in ODIs.
- Iyer has scored two centuries and six half-centuries in T20Is.
- Iyer has captained the Delhi Capitals and the Kolkata Knight Riders in the IPL.
- Iyer has won the IPL Emerging Player of the Year award (2015) and the IPL Orange Cap (2020).
- Iyer was named the ICC Men's Emerging Cricketer of the Year in 2016.
- IPL Emerging Player of the Year (2015)
- IPL Orange Cap (2020)
- ICC Men's Emerging Cricketer of the Year (2016)
Iyer has been involved in a few controversies during his career.
- In 2017, Iyer was dropped from the Indian team for the Champions Trophy after he was found
guilty of violating the team's code of conduct.
- In 2019, Iyer was fined by the Delhi Capitals for making a derogatory remark about a bowler on
- In 2020, Iyer was criticized for his slow batting during the IPL final.
International Cricket Stars